Vehicle Accident Claims

If you are part of the 25% of people who end up in hospital with serious injuries after a motor vehicle accident, you should consider making a claim. 

What is a Vehicle Accident Claim? 

To register a vehicle, you are legally required to take out third-party insurance. This means that if you are injured in an accident where someone else is to blame, even just in part, you could be entitled to compensation. Someone could be to blame for an accident whether they drove or owned the vehicle.

The good news is that all road users: drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists or motorbike riders, can make a claim. Even if you are at fault you may be entitled to statutory benefits. The bad news is that there are strict procedures and time frames for making a claim. At Gillis Delaney our team has the expertise to assist you in the process.

Statutory Entitlements – No Fee

In NSW legal fees for statutory claims are regulated and met by CTP insurers. Insurers are liable to meet your legal costs and medical report fees. We do not charge you for statutory claims beyond the costs paid for by an insurer.

Damages – No Win No Fee

In many of our cases we work on a no-win-no-fee basis, collecting our fees only after your matter has been settled. We will do an assessment and let you know where you stand right from the start. Should anything change in the course of your matter, we will let you know immediately. Click below to find out more about our no win no fee terms.

Read More
+61 2 9394 1144

What you are entitled to

The NSW CTP scheme regulates your entitlements to compensation where you are injured
in a motor accident.

There are no fault statutory benefits which include medical and treatment expenses and
wage loss.

Where there is no one to blame for your accident the blameless accident provisions in the
scheme ensure you are also entitled to compensation.

If you have suffered a catastrophic injury you may be entitled to life time care benefits
regardless of fault.

Further, if you have suffered significant injuries because of the fault of the owner or operator
of a vehicle you may also be entitled to damages.

In all claims there are a number of relevant factors including:

  • Who was at fault if anyone
  • The injuries caused and the extent of impairment
  • The treatment you have received
  • Whether you have suffered a wage loss

Even if a motor vehicle is not insured or you cannot identify the owner of driver of the vehicle that caused your injury there are schemes to cover you for your entitlement to compensation.

The compensation you could be entitled to includes:

  • Loss of income.
  • Medical treatment costs.
  • Domestic assistance
  • Lump sum payment for pain and suffering (subject to a threshold impairment)
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Future wage loss
  • Loss of superannuation

How we can help

We have helped many people over the years with motor vehicle claims. 

We are who you should turn to when things become more complex. For example, you might be eligible for cover under the Lifetime Support Scheme if your injuries are serious enough or your accident might be classified as a Blameless Accident.

Remember, the Gillis Delaney approach is to know you and find the legal solution that suits you best.

Vehicle compensation claim process

Get in touch with us as quickly as possible after your accident. It is important to follow the strict procedure and time frames for vehicle accident claims. We don’t want you to miss out on anything because you did not follow the rules.

When you are involved in an accident, remember to follow these basic steps:

  1. Report the accident to police.
  2. Lodge an accident notification form within 28 days of the accident, which could help you with ongoing medical expenses of up to $5,000.00.
  3. Lodge a personal injury claim form with the insurer within six months of the accident.

Speak with one of our Vehicle Accident Claims experts today!